2024 Dates & Rates to be confirmed.
… go from Zero to Hero on Sand
Participants are taken through the Sand Riding principals until SAND RIDING is achieved at the end of the weekend.
This annual iconic Sand Riding Course combines sand rider training with a weekend getaway to a Mozambican seaside resort. . .
Leaving Malelane you will be guided through the Komatipoort border and via the new and convenient ring road to Macaneta Peninsula, crossing the new bridge, to the luxury seaside Lugar do Mar Resort.
Over the 3 day stay Thomas & James will teach you the principals of sand riding. Starting with baby steps and accommodating all levels of riders, in a safe and controlled environment. After sand training we can refresh in the pool which is surrounded by a beautiful patio and chill area.
The days consist of comprehensive training in sand riding and the opportunity to hone your sand riding skills with a qualified instructor on hand and also practice outrides exploring what Macaneta has to offer; with a lunch excursion to El Paso, an authentic working ‘American-Style’ ranch.
In the evenings we will enjoy awesome ocean views from the resort Beach Bar before the best of Mozambican cuisine and a good nights rest in the luxury air-conditioned chalets.
The course / seaside getaway ends after breakfast on Sunday where participants can make their way back on the ring road to the Komatiborder and home, knowing they will be better equipped for their next Sand Monster encounter !!
** TOUR STARTS in Malelane & ENDS at Lugar Do Mar, Macaneta
2024 Rates to be confirmed
- R 7990.00 – per rider | Sharing
- R 7990.00 – per pillion | Sharing
- R 9990.00 – per rider | Single
- R 4990.00 – per non-rider including children 11+ years | Sharing
- R 2990.00 – per child – under 10 years | Sharing with parents
What to Bring
- Clothes & toiletries
- Sun screen
- Mosquito spray / malaria prevention
- Torch or head lamp
- Cap or hat
- Puncture repair kit
- Sufficient+allergy+scheduled+chronic medication
- Ballistic jacket – recommended
- Swimming costume & swimming towel
Border Crossing Info & Costs
Cost subject to exchange rate
- PASSPORT – You will need a six-month valid passport with at least 2 empty pages.
- VEHICLE / MOTORCYCLE BORDER CROSSING -Remember to check your vehicle license disc to make sure it’s valid past your return date to South Africa.IF FINANCED – if your vehicle is subject to a financial lease, hire purchase or loan agreement you will need a certified copy of your motorcycle registration paper (Natis documents). If the vehicle you’re driving / riding is not yours you will require a letter of authority in the form of an affidavit from the registered owner or the financial institution and a letter from your insurer giving you permission to take it across a border.IF NOT FINANCED – you will need your original motorcycle registration document (Natis documents) and a letter from the insurer allowing you to cross a border.
- INSURANCE – Check with your vehicle insurance that you are covered when travelling out of the country.
- 3rd PARTY INSURANCE – to be purchased beforehand at any Outdoor Warehouse = R140.00 per bike or trailer and R280.00 per vehicle.
- AT THE BORDER – Immigration Counter for Passport stamp and Customs Counter to complete TIP (Temp Import Papers) = R220.00 / 850MT per vehicle / bike.
- VISA – NON RSA residents need a Visa. Please apply on-line. You will need a reservation confirmation letter, which we can arrange, you just need to send us a copy of your passport.
- VISA LINK – https://www.handyvisas.com/mozambique-visa/
- CHILDREN – Child travelling with both parents will require the following: An unabridged birth certificate of their child; A valid passport for their child and a visa (if required).
Lugar Do Mar Resort, Macaneta Peninsula, Mozambique
Accommodations: Luxury en-suite chalets with a patio to enjoy with your loved ones.
Restaurant: Ready to serve the best of our Mozambican and Portuguese cuisine with fantastic dishes and seafood to feed all tastes.
Pool and Leisure: Delight yourself and cool off in the pool with a beautiful patio and bar available.
Beach Bar: Overlooking the ocean
Bring your families… they are welcome to enjoy the Lugar do Mar facilities and the beach while you are training and join the group for socialising and meals. See rates for non-riders and children under 10 years sharing with the parents.
Did you know?? Macaneta forms the peninsula of Marracuene and is made up of a narrow band of sandy ground stretching in a northerly to southerly direction approximately 12km in length, 2km wide, an altitude of 65m. It forms the barrier between the Incomati river estuary and Mozambique channel.
Meet Your Instructors
- Thomas Böhm is Internationally Accredited by the BMW Motorrad International Instructors Academy – IIA with both On-Road and Off-Road Certification. Thomas is a CPR 4 Life Official Level 2 First Aider. The SAND Experience was born as Thomas identified that many to most adventure riders avoid sand. Thomas started the sand training weekend in the the early 2000s. First in Bilene Mozambique, then it moved to Utshwayelo Lodge Kosi Bay KZN for the last 9 years and now for the first time in 2023 to Macaneta Peninsula, Mozambique.
- James 'VARK' Jenkinson is a successful pig farmer from near Cullinan, an experienced rider, instructor, tour leader, trusted sweep and can fix anything... Has more than 15 years of sand riding instruction under his belt. Fondly known a the 'Gravel Monster' but everyone knows that he's really the 'SAND MONSTER'!!